Pate Feuilletee Shells :
250g Puff Pastry
400g Granny Smith Apples
50g red Beet, Macedoine
¼ Cup Apple Jack
30g Granulated Sugar
5 large egg whites
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
Beet Syrup :
½ Cup Beet Water, Strained
½ Cup Sugar
1. Vacherin: Prepare a day ahead of time! Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour egg whites into mixing bowl. Turn on tabletop mixer at medium speed and add granulated sugar a tablespoon at a time. Whip to stiff peaks (8 minutes). Remove bowl and sift in 10-x, folding gently as not to deflate the meringue. Pour mixture into pastry bag with small-mid size tip. Portion out small mushroom shape and size caps on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven and let meringues sit 4-5 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat conventional oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Wash Beets and remove Greens. Bring 4 cups of water water to a boil and add beets. Cook until a paring knife easily slides into the flesh (Appx. 20 minutes). Cool and remove the skin and stem. Cut into macedoine. Reduce beet water until ½ cup remains. Add sugar and make simple syrup. Set aside.
4. Peel and core apples. Rub with lemon to stop browning. Coarsely chop apples.
5. Melt butter in sautoir. Add apples & beets and cook on medium heat with parchment lid. Once the juices have exuded remove the lid and stir. Remove the apple/beet mixture and cool.
6. Take pan off the heat and flambé with apple jack. Deglaze and reduce until syrupy, pour over compote. Set aside.
7. Roll out pate feuilletee dough to 1/8” thick.
8. Using circular mold cut 8 rounds from rolled out dough. In 4 of the pate circles cut out a circle in the middle so it looks like a cheerio or wheel. Place on top of the whole pate round. There should be 4 pate rounds with 4 pate wheels on top. Refrigerate until firm (5 minutes or more depending on heat in kitchen. Brush with egg wash and place in oven. Reduce heat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake until golden brown and cooked on the inside, appx. 35 minutes. Let cool when done.
9. Assembly: Place compote inside of puff pastry shells and nap the rest over the side. Place vacherin caps on top and around plate. drizzle beet syrup atop vacherins.